Saturday, March 9, 2013

6 Big Girl Lifestyle Tips to a healthy lifestyle change

 
 
I fought through my thoughts this morning about getting out and exercising. As I turned over in the bed my husband asked "Are you ready to go walking?" What time is it?I know walking with him means walking five to seven miles. I was still sleepy from tossing and turning last night. "I haven't had any decent sleep." I said. I peeked at the clock on the wall in front of the bed and the time said 6:57A.M.
 
I closed my eyes but never really went back to sleep. Slowly I rose up to stretch out my hips because they were stiff. The thought of walking began to wear on my mind like a child who has been promised they were going to the park to play. Still laced with sleep, I crawled down onto the carpet and sat with my legs spread out in a V position to start my stretches.

 
It was the decision to stretch that motivated me to put on my exercise gear and head out the door with the family for a walk. The lack of energy always sabotages my motivation to exercise. Until I get to the mental place where my body pushes me to exercise I realize I need to find other motivators to get me to change my views about adding exercise to my daily life. And because I want a healthy lifestyle change and not just a body change I have a few tips to help you along your journey.


6 Tips to a healthy lifestyle change 

  • Setting realistic expectations-The more realistic your expectations the greater the chances you will obtain your goals. (Don't think your decision to adopt a healthy lifestyle change will be perfect because you will set yourself up to be disappointed.)
  • Exercise in intervals-I mean in minutes and days. Don't plunge in like my husband suggested I me to walk five to seven miles. I have done it and you see where it has me-blogging about doing what is right for you. Take five to ten minutes a day or try working out one day a week and add on at your pace.
  • Find a workout buddy-You two can hold one another accountable and encourage each other if one of you are not feeling up to exercising.
  • Plan ahead-Pencil in your exercise on a calendar and follow through just like meeting your friends or family for reservations at your favorite restaurant.
  • Plot you plate-Fill up on vegetables and limit your protein and complex carbohydrates to a fist full or a 1/4 plate of food.
  • Split your meal-Eat what you want if you don't want to "plot your plate" and split with someone else or ask for a take out container.


 
Notice everyone else is in front and I am the one holding the camera.We all started together on the first lap and by the second one I was left behind. This is off to a great start! What a support system I have. These thoughts bounced around in my mind as I began to run to try to catch up. What are you doing? Why are you trying to maintain their pace? Remember this is a lifestyle change and your goal is to be doing this for life and not for a season.
 
I began to feel defeated until I grasped the reality that having my family with me on the walk was beneficial to us physically and mentally because we were spending time together. Yet, I had to put my "big girl panties" on and deal with the fact that my health is my issue just as their health is theirs. My goal this week is not to blame others for not motivating me but to be accountable for what I do and don't do.  
 
Post your picture and your words and be heardas other big girl's need encouragement and motivation! Big Girl Life Styles can't do this alone!
   

I DARE YOU TO JOIN ME TO THE ROAD TO CHANGE

The Big Girl Way!

 
 

 
 
 
 

Mary Mary - Walking

No comments:

Post a Comment