Sunday, March 17, 2013

Couch to Confidence: Identify Self-Sabotage vs. Self-Care

My Journey Documented; Your Journey too

The idiom"Rome was not built in a day" implies one can not accomplish a great work in a short period of time. The same is true with changing to a healthy lifestyle. Tackling one unhealthy habit at a time is ideal and recommended but sometimes I desire to witness change quickly and fall into self-sabotage behaviors.

I have "dieted" countless times over the years and the insanity of the process has nullified my own distinction about identifying when I am taking care of my self. On Friday March 15, 2013 my taste buds were sparked after witnessing a young lady slurping the last of her Caramel Frappuccino from her transparent Starbucks cup (Keep in mind that I am not a coffee enthusiast.) This was random and I had not eaten anything for breakfast.

The thought of the Caramel Frappuccino from Starbucks plagued my mind for hours I can get one I thought. I was on the university campus and knew there would be a long line as it was lunch time so I decided head to run a few errands before driving home.

I arrived at Target  to complete my small shopping list of Halls, Vicks Vapor Rub and Tylenol Flu medication for our daughter. As I pushed the the cart around I eye balled the perimeter for a Starbucks mini station (There is one usually set upfront by the entrance and exit doors). To no avail did I cross paths with a Starbucks to tame my sinful pleasure.

After cracking and eating low sodium sunflower seeds I arrived at my Safeway to make a bank deposit. I knew there was a mini  Starbucks to the left of entrance doors opposite to where I was going to make my deposit. I did identify that I needed to make a decision about what I was going to do before I went in. I posted my obstacle on www.facebook.com/BigGirlLifestyles and set off to complete my task.

My mental fight was diffused when I sought advice from the community of women on BigGirlLifestyles Facebook page. I walked directly to the ATM to make the deposit and ended at the Jamba Juice counter. I ordered a 16 oz Orange Dream and one shot of wheat grass. The total carb intake was 78 grams and 395 calories. Had I opted for the Caramel Frappuccino the total carb figure was 66 grams and 410 calories.

Either choice had it's positives and negatives, however, the truth remains- did I acted out of self-care or self-sabotage? Honestly, I felt the choice I made was out of self-care, however, I discovered a flyer created by the Pacific Health Services at the Cowell Wellness that educated me on with the distinction of changing to a healthy lifestyle change by identifying when I am sabotaging or caring for my self. See the list below.

Identifying Self-Sabotage VS Self-Care

Self-Sabotage  

  • Binge Eating
  • Forced Vomiting
  • Lying to yourself
  • Comparing Yourself to Others
  • Self-Hate
  • Living in Fear
  • Ignoring Your Inner Wisdom
  • Over-Exercising
  • Restricting Food

Self-Care  

  • Getting Enough Rest
  • Eating Healthy Foods
  • Appreciating Yourself
  • Being Forgiving
  • Noticing what you do well
  • Honoring your words
  • Showing Flexibility & compassion
  • Right amount of exercise
  • Getting help to make self-care choices

I DARE YOU! JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK TODAY TO A JOURNEY for a HEALTHY LIFESTYLE CHANGE


The Big Girl Way! 


K Michelle - Sweetest Love 

No comments:

Post a Comment